Underground water leaks are notorious for going undetected for a very long time, and it is only when the condition worsens; we see the extent of the damage on the surface.
Whether you have a commercial property or a homeowner, underground pipe bursts can create huge water problems in the future if left untreated.
With commercial properties, it can be difficult to detect underground issues as concrete and buildings directly above pipework can obstruct leak detection.
One of the most effective methods of discovering leaks is by using a specialist electronic device that can narrow down the location of the leak plus save on unnecessary digging and costs.
Water leaks can happen at any time for a number of reasons such as:
- Underground chemicals: Chemicals found in water or soil can cause the underground pipes to erode, which then results with cracks or holes that allow water to leak through
- Natural disasters: Earthquakes or tremors can put a lot of pressure onto pipework underground, causing them to move and possibly crack
- Wear and tear: Over time, pipework can rust and give way which causes cracks and leaks
- Poor installation: This is one of the reasons that can be avoided, but unfortunately, poor or incorrect installation has been a cause for pipe leakage
Over time, the condition of the damaged pipework will worsen, and you will start to notice various different indicators that could suggest there is an underlying issue with the pipework underground.
Here are some signs to look out for underground water leaks:
- A decrease in water pressure
- Cracked pavement area
- A sudden increase in water usage and costs
- Visible potholes
- Unpleasant smells: Underground leaks take longer to detect which often leads to mould that releases an unpleased odour
- Pressure in the water supply or dirt within the water flow
What to do if you notice any of these signs:
Once you suspect something not being quite right with the waterworks, it is highly recommended that you call a specialist engineer or plumber to take a look. You will save a lot of money and time if the leak is detected earlier!
At Avon Water Services we specialise in detecting water leaks underground quickly and efficiently, to minimise the disruption to your home or business.
Using a special electronic device, we can narrow down the location of the leaks, which can save a lot of time and unnecessary digging costs. Our team have an abundance of experience with underground water leaks, so we know exactly where to look and how to solve the problem, quickly and efficiently.
Once the leak is detected, we aim to fix the issue as soon as possible. We would either repair or replace the pipework depending on the condition of the system to prolong the lifespan of the pipework and to help prevent further damages in the future.
If you are experiencing any of these issues either in your home or commercial property, our friendly team are more than happy to come and take a look. Contact us today.